This post may contain affiliate links
The way people work on this planet is changing.
The baby boomers did it their way, but now people are moving to a more location independent lifestyle.
But you already knew that, right?
More and more companies are open to working with freelancers and location independent professionals because talented hard-working people have a lot of pull in the world of business.
Every company needs them/you.
As a passionate digital nomad I’ll use this post to break down the newest trends and opportunities when looking for digital nomad jobs and location independent work.
Entrepreneur vs freelancer vs employee
First we need to figure out what type of situation you want. Do you want the security of a W2 income from a company? Or do you want to get scrappy and be a freelancer? Or maybe you want to start your own business.
Starting your own business as a digital nomad
This is a great option for some but you’re going to have to hustle if you want to make it work.
A lot of entrepreneurs go to Bali or Thailand where cost of living is cheap and they can bootstrap their business with other like-minded creators.
Not a bad option but you may need one of the next few options as well to supplement the start-up costs.
Some of the trending location independent business ideas are:
- E-commerce – Find or create a product, create a shopify store, and have someone else fulfill the orders. You’re basically just a marketer and site manager.
- E-learning – Create and sell your own online course using Teachable (complete guide here) or teach kids in China how to speak English and earn $20/hour. My wife does this a ton and loves it and earns a great side income. It’s super easy and very rewarding. CLICK HERE to learn how to do it.
- Affiliate Marketing – A lot of people don’t know this but when you click on something from a blog and it takes you to Amazon, that person gets 5% of everything you buy there for the next 24 hours. Not just for Amazon either, like every company that sells anything online likely has an affiliate marketing program. This is one of my favorite passive income opportunities. A complete guide on affiliate marketing coming soon.
- License Media – If you’re a media creator then you’re in luck. Use sites like Shutterstock, Pond5, Audio Jungle, Artlist, Videoblocks, and the like to create and sell photos, videos, and music as passive income. There is HUGE opportunity here. My complete guide to licensing media is coming soon!
- Live A Great Story – If you live an amazing life, you can share your stories in exchange for money. People make huge amounts of money on Patreon and you can too. You can also become an Instagram influencer or YouTube vlogger. All these options use affiliate marketing to earn money.
Become a digital nomad freelancer
One of the easiest ways to get money flowing in remotely is to become a freelancer. I use Upwork as well as Fiverr to get clients but if you’re super talented you can use Toptal which I hear good things about.
The skills that are most needed on these platforms are in the realm of media creation, web development, marketing, animation, and some financial services.
If you like photo/video/audio then I highly recommend purchasing and learning Adobe creative cloud. I think learning this suite of tools is one of the easiest and quickest ways to become a digital nomad freelancer.
Everyone needs skilled workers in these programs.
Don’t have any skills or know which ones you want to learn? I would go to upwork.com and look at the top and trending skills at the bottom of the homepage, click on a few that interest you and start developing your skills by watching YouTube.
You don’t need a 4-year design degree, you just need to learn how to teach yourself new skills. All the information is free online you just have to learn how to learn.
That’s all I did…
Getting a location independent job
Ok last but not least, just got a job.
Getting a remote job can be a little more competitive but if you stay at it, you can find a way to rise above the other applicants and land a great job that doesn’t care where you are.
This allows for lots of financial security but may require you to be available at certain times of day etc.
Here’s my exhaustive list of digital nomad jobs sites:
General digital nomad jobs:
There’s a few tricks to making all of this digital nomad thing work. Here’s a few I live by:
You can make a lot of money by saving money. You might start out your journey in a cheap country while you get on your feet. You can live very comfortably in many Asian countries for very little money.
You can also save huge amounts of money by doing work exchanges. Checkout workaway.info to find opportunities to work in exchange for room and board. Then you make a few bucks online and you’re good to go.
The most important thing to learn, is how to learn. Did you know that Google and Apple both dropped 4-year degrees from their hiring criteria?
That’s because no one cares about your 4-year degree anymore, they just want hard-working talent, and talent is not some God-given thing you were born with.
Talent is developed through reading, learning, practicing, and focusing on results.
I recommend you become a YouTube user. Not just for cat videos but to go deep and learn skills that will get you paid. Spend 1/2 as much time on social networks and double your time on YouTube, and use it as a social learning platform.
Every single Adobe app is taught extensively by thousands of people around the world, for free, on youtube. The barriers to entry have never been lower.
Ok I think that’s all I’ve got for now. Thanks for reading and I hope this helped.
Please subscribe to my newsletter for more content like this and have fun out there, it’s never been this easy.
Here’s some videos we’ve made to highlight some of the examples above: